Thursday, December 9, 2010

My best attempt at a quick 'week in review'


Last week I was in Atlanta where I had my talent costume made by Jody Pelletier who is seriously a rockstar. When I showed up in the morning, she had 2 talent costumes made from the ideas we had thrown around and by the time I came back at 10:30pm, she had a new one, the real one, made! In my adventures with Faith in Atlanta, I also visited our dental sponsor, Dr. Goldstein, for some teeth contouring and whitening and a makeup lesson with Nyssa at the TV station - what special treatment for Miss NY!

We also went to Kennesaw State University where I spoke to their Pride Alliance at a reception they had thrown just for me. The back story: Mary Frances had written me after I won Miss NY having read my article in The Advocate. She told me that she had competed in pageants in Georgia and was never able to stand up for equality - stand up for herself, as a lesbian. After back and forth, meaningful conversation, it was so incredible to actually meet her in person and bring this new friendship full circle. She threw a beautiful reception for me, attended by the Chief Diversity Officer of the University, dean, professors and many students who all gave up their time during finals. It was such a wonderful experience to see the broad reach and influence that social media and the internet can provide. As always, a great trip to the Ossmanns. :)



Upon my return to NYC on Fridy, I went to Toys for Tots with Kenny Mack, Wanda and Amanda Mason (Miss Greater Gotham) and 500 fabulous, attractive and well-dressed men at Chelsea Piers! It was a blast, full of holiday cheer and a huuuuge mountain of gifts. Of course, a highlight of my night was running into Thomas Roberts as well as seeing Andy Cohen again and meeting Lance Bass. Mr. Brazil was alright too. Hehe great evening! And I was grateful to get a few minutes on stage to talk about Miss America and my platform.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment