Thursday, December 30, 2010

Home for the Holidays

I took a great trip home to my family for a few days and had a total vacation in the best sense of the word.  I really wanted to use it as an escape from preparation – of course I made my best attempt to stay on track with that swimsuit thang – but to me, your mental and emotional state and care is equally as important as your physical preparation for Miss America.  For one girl, this could be the last she really sees her family for a year; so with hopes that the one girl is me, I made the most of it.  As a New Yorker, I’m used to the long distance communication with my family; thank goodness for video chatting!   I wish I could bottle up everything that happened in these last few days.  You all get to know me from a pageant or advocacy standpoint, but here is a glimpse into my family life.

  

I was able to spend such wonderful cuddle time and photo ops with my little nephew Logan, took engagement pictures for my sister Hannah and her fiancé, Joel, got a peek at my brother and his fiancé’s new house (6 houses down from my parents), and of course got the best hugs and support from my sister Sarah as we bonded over sangria-making, along with shopping with mom and hot tub talks with dad.  I was able to visit my grandma in her new home and visit her new friends at the memory care facility as Miss New York, and spent Christmas with my other grandparents and cousins, complete with laughter yoga led by Sarah.  



My family hosted two “Cookies with Claire” parties for me, and wow, I am so blessed.  I was able to see sooo many people – people from high school, church, dance, family friends, Miss Indiana folks, aunts and uncles, people from every facet of my life who have come together in support of this exciting journey.  I am just so lucky, I can’t even explain it…and thankful.


The blizzard only stopped me for a 24-hour delay.  I had a successful standby trip back to Newark (I’m at the airport now) and it will work out perfectly for me to pick up my evening gown from Red Carpet master alterations seamstress wonder woman Debbie! And then it’s home to unpack and get things ready to repack…but this time for Miss America!! Butterflies writing that!!!  Keep you updated in the next few days – only thing I really have scheduled besides working out, errands, last minute shopping (interview shoes – yikes!), dancing, etc is January 3rd at Therapy  at 52nd and 9th Ave from 6:00-9:00 – come have a good luck cocktail!! 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Claire, Your Mother and I grew up next to each other on Charleston Ave. I am happy to see the family photos and watch your accomplishments. Good luck with the competition, I will be watching. Tell Jo Ellen that I found you on facebook! Joan

    ReplyDelete