Sunday, March 27, 2011

March 15-18 - March IS Madness!

Woah – 2 weeks behind.  That seems to be a thematic opening line of my blogs recently.  Last we left off, I was at the incredible PFLAG National Straight for Equality Gala and Awards.  Then Miss Tennessee, Nicole Jordan came to visit!  Love being Miss NY and living in a state/city where I get to see the amazing Miss America girls who come to visit!  It was great seeing Nicole in her Musical Theatre/Acting showcase with University of Alabama – fun to see these girls outside of pageantland and get a glimpse into their “real life”

I have been introduced to a lot of our state’s sports teams, professional and collegiate in hopes of establishing some new relationships for FUN and recurring appearances for the new Miss NY and myself.  In that process, I was introduced to the Yankees PR and media for whom I eventually auditioned to be a Yankess hostess --- And I got it!  So coming up, I’ll be starting out hosting five Yankees games as a broadcaster in the stadium! Pretty cool, right!?! Super stoked especially since I am very interested in pursuing broadcasting post-Miss NY. 


Then it was off to Southside Middle School in Rockville Centre, NY on Thursday where I really got down to it and had a really great conversation with the entire school about bullying and those specific biases of sexual orientation and gender identity as a part of their "Expanding Our Horizons Together" guest speakers.  The school is very progressive and proudly speaks of their student equality group "Be the Change" club, with whom I got to sit down individually and have some great question and answer.  Scott Quasha, the school psychologist who organized my visit runs the website www.lgbteach.org with Elisa Waters from another school I have visited on Long Island.  He also runs the CometFire group – a support group and question/answer time for LGBT and Questioning youth -  which PFLAG NYC has been assisting.


Friday, Jamie took me to the New York Botanical Gardens in the Bronx for a National Women’s History brunch hosted by Congressman Joseph Crowley with featured keynote speaker, the first female Nassau County District Attorney, Kathleen Rice.  I really look forward to working with her and building a relationship with local titleholders in her district.  Beautiful day in NYC!!


And then, to top things off, Lauren Edmunds came in town for Miss Georgia preparation and we had lunch!  We were at National Sweetheart together 3 years ago. Good luck this summer!!



No comments:

Post a Comment