Monday, September 13, 2010

9/11 National Day of Service

Nine years ago, September 11th changed the world and the way that the American people think, act, react and observe.  It also changed the way that people serve and are motivated to do so.  Out of tragedy came this day in which we can all serve together, united, to make a positive difference in our communities.  Through New York Cares, I participated in the National Day of Service, supported by MyGoodDeed Inc., at PS 140 on the Lower East Side.  Alison came with me and as I rounded the corner, the entire block was surrounded by security, black cars and SUVs, and police.  Vice President Joe Biden and his wife Jill were apparently joining us.  Unfortunately, by the time Alison and I got up to the front of the line to meet VP Biden and get a picture, he had to leave.  Instead, we met Jordan Sparks!  Still exciting! She participated in the 9/11 Day of Service last year and was so excited to come back this year - she was all about getting down to business and makin' some cards.


We spent a few hours making cards and packages for our military.  When I sat down with a little boy, he started to write his card that said "plese come home. we love you."  I spent time attempting to be artistic, and this card that he made will be so much better than anything I could create with a BFA in Art.  Next, we headed out to the playground to repaint the PS 140 playground games, United States map, caterpillar ABC's and the giant yellow kickball field.  It was a great opportunity to give back on a day when people lost so much.  To Matt, Blake, John, Mark and the hundreds of thousands of people, I don't know in our military, I say thank you.


I live in the Financial District, so I'm so close to the WTC site.  If you attempt to get to the PATH train at rush hour, you feel the intensity of people who are just going home on a regular weekday afternoon.  But then to attempt to imagine what it was like by my house nine years ago, is unfathomable.  In honor and memory of September 11, 2001, thank you to those to rescued and saved, those who were lost, those who will never be the same, and those who fight to this day that we keep our freedoms and security in the United States.
So I took a few shots from my roof tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment