Friday, June 10, 2011

GLSEN Respect Awards & Great Neck MS


Monday, May 23 (I know, I'm way behind) I went to the GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network) 2011 Respect Awards.  This awesome event was hosted by one of my favorites, Wilson Cruz, and recognized country singer Chely Wright as the Inspiration Award Winner among other honorees - Read more HERE.  I had a great time just attending as a special guest with my +1 and fantastic date Kaitlin Davis.  We heard many inspirational stories of the night, but the release of the Think Before You Speak campaign and GLSEN’s “Changing the Game” initiative was one of my favorite parts.  Check out the PSA featuring Phoenix Suns’ Grant Hill and Jared Dudley.



 

We even had some fun crowning Wilson :)

Inspired by the Respect Awards, the next day I went out to Long Island to visit Great Neck Middle School North.  Great Neck MS South was one of my first schools as Miss NY, so it was fun to bring this year full circle.  After three presentations, lots of autograph signing and picture taking, the G/SA had me take a photo with their "Think Before You Speak" campaign.  


No comments:

Post a Comment